Thursday, November 18, 2010

Will the UConn women beat UCLA men's 88 wins in row

Expecting one article when I clicked on the “Will the UConn women beat UCLA men's 88 wins in row” link, I was surprised to see four separate short ones on the topic. All of the articles were from different publications, Daily Press, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times and the Hartford Courant. I liked the way it was set up because I was able to see what sports journalists across the nation are predicting, and could compare the opinions easily. The first writer, David Teel, wrote with extreme confidence that the UConn women’s team will surpass the UCLA men’s 88 win record. He went on to say they would reach a 100 game winning streak. I liked his concise writing and his last line that stated his opinion on when they would lose. He said it would be “Sometime after senior All-American Maya Moore graduates and coach Geno Auriemma takes over the Lakers from Phil Jackson.” As a Lakers and Phil Jackson fan, it was surprising to see an opinion like that, and made me wonder if that could actually happen in the future. Shannon Ryan, the Chicago Tribune reporter, was the only journalist to predict that UConn will not surpass the UCLA men’s 88 win streak. She seemed extremely sure her prediction was correct, which I liked. She also chose not to jump on the bandwagon by just saying UConn would break the record just because many others have. Being a women journalist in a predominately male profession seems to be tough at times so I'm to see that she hasn’t let that sway her opinions. I haven’t seen an article that includes four seperate articles from different places. I think it should be done more often, especially because I only read the Tribune usually and would have only seen Ryan’s prediction. I probably would have taken her opinion as the majority opinion, but now that I read the articles of three other journalists who predict UConn will break the record, it is obvious that the consensus is just the opposite.

1 comment: