Saturday, October 9, 2010

Derrick Rose and John Wall

K.C. Johnson wrote an article about the Derrick Rose-John Wall matchup that kept everyone entertained at the Bulls game last night. Johnson started the article with a short statement, “If you blinked, you missed a lot.” I think it was a perfect way to open up the story because he then goes into detail about the intense competition displayed by both players on the court. Johnson wrote, “Luckily, with Rose just 22 and Wall at 20, the matchup of two of the previous three No. 1 overall picks should be around awhile.” I think that statement was worded awkwardly, and hard to understand. I had to read it 3 times before I understood all the information that was packed into the sentence. Later in the article Johnson reinforced the idea that Rose and Wall will be part of an “NBA rivalry for ages” by providing their very similar game stats. “This is going to be fun for a lot of years.” I think it would have sounded better if he wrote ‘for years to come’ instead. Johnson ends the story by writing about the performance of other Bulls players. I think it would have been more effective to use Wall’s quote ( "It's going to be a great challenge," Wall said. "All I can do is try to hold my own and … try to get his level." ) to end the story though. Overall, I am excited to follow the Rose-Wall matchup because of this article. I think Johnson did a great job of getting fans excited for the Bulls season ahead. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that sentence with all of the numbers is hard to follow. (“Luckily, with Rose just 22 and Wall at 20, the matchup of two of the previous three No. 1 overall picks should be around awhile.” ) I'll be sure to try to keep numerical concepts to just one per sentence.

    ReplyDelete